March 26, 2014

Yellow Polka Dot Bikini...Polka Dot Fabric

Remember the song from the 60's... "Itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini"? Well I do, and one thing has puzzled me for years. Was the "yellow polka dot bikini" in question made from fabric that had a yellow background with white or other colour of polka dots? 



Or were the dots yellow and the background white or some other colour, as shown below? 



I have had some spirited debates on this very subject in my swimwear classes, but alas, it has never been resolved...until now.

Last week, I took my Master Swimwear students on a field trip to Ann's fabrics on the mountain in Hamilton. Remember this picture I took of their purchases? 



Well, one of those fabrics is mine. You can see it at bottom left. When I saw that yellow fabric with white dots, I just started humming that song in my head! So now I know, that bikini in the song just had to be on a yellow background with white dots! 

So stay tuned...over the next few days I am going to share with you a step-by-step "pictorial tutorial" of the journey from Fabric to Fabulous. 

The Itsy Bitsy
Teeny Weeny
Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
It will be seen for the First Time Today!
You can hear the whole song here.


No comments:

Post a Comment